[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonid Meteor Storm Observed

<<
 A meteor storm did occur during the 1998 Leonids, though you had to
 be at the right place at the right time to observe it.  According to
 IAU Cirular 7052, Alan Fitzsimmons in La Palma, Canary Islands, observed
 about 1000 Leonids/hour on November 17 at 3:36 UT which increased to
 about 2000 Leonids/hour on November 17 at 4:34 UT.  In other words,
 he observed the Leonids at a rate of over 1000 meteors/hour over a period of
 one hour.

How were the meteors recorded? Were they getting the impression that they were
seeing this many or were they somehow recording them? I have ran across a few
folks reporting high rates but they weren't recording them. While I was
recording meteor activity into my recorder, I had the sensation for a few
hours that I was getting at least 200meteors/hour. After I downloaded the
recorder, I realized that the highest hour was around 100. This is a common
sensation for folks when observing meteors. So I'm a little curious if their
observations were a little more than the impression that they got or were
somehow recording the activity?
george zay