[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: The Next Shower

Bruce,

The Lion may not have roared for you but for those lucky to have clear
skies on Monday and Tuesday it was quite an experience.

The next major shower will occur Dec. 11-15 when the Geminids are
active. The maximum activity will occur on the 14th but good activity
can be seen on the dates mentioned above. Unlike the Leonids the
Geminids can be seen during the late evening hours and throughout the
remainder of the night. They are best placed for observing between 1
and 2am local time. Give them a try and you will be rewarded!

The 17% illuminated crescent moon will rise near 3am local time and
not be much of a factor in producing interference.

Robert Lunsford
American Meteor Society
International Meteor Organization

Bruce Patterson wrote:

> After missing the night/morning of the 16/17 due to heavy overcast and
> light rain we finally got a break in the clouds at approximately 10 pm
> est 17.
> Observed from 00:30 to 2:15  (EST) with an LIM of approximately 5.6 and
> very  poor results.
> Only saw two Leonids, two N Taurids, One Orionid and one sporadic.
> Well there always next year and what's the next meteor shower in the
> schedule?
>
> Clear Skies
>
> Bruce Patterson
> Wheatley Ontario Canada