[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Maybe next year...

Arlene,

Nobody missed the "Big One" unless you were socked in by clouds. The
entire world was treated to an extraordinary display of bright meteors.
It also seems that most everyone saw rates of at least 60 an hour at one
time or another if observed under rural skies.

This is most certainly not a normal Leonid display but an enhanced
display due to the fact that comet Temple-Tuttle (source of the Leonid
meteors) had passed through the inner solar system earlier this year
and is now outbound only to return again in 2032.

During the next 5 years the Leonid displays should be enhanced. I would
not expect to see as much fireball activity as was witnessed this year,
but the greatest activity of fainter meteors could occur next year.
In 2000 and beyond rates will diminish until a normal Leonid display
(10-15 per hour) returns in approximately the year 2005.

Bob Lunsford