[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Useful Meteor Energy...was something else?

When I was assigned to Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, in the eighties, I wrote an
article regarding the use of the ionized column to bounce radio waves from
distance operating bases to the main base at Elmendorf.  I wish I could
remember the name of the project, but I just can't right now.  The article
was written for public release and I never found out if anyone picked it up
or not.  However, from those experiments in Alaska, the use of bouncing
radio waves off the ion field has become standard procedure in some cases.
One of the thing I remember the person I interviewed saying is there are so
many micrometeors hitting atmosphere that there is never a time when they
can't bounce the waves.  My memory isn't all that good on the subject now,
but I also vaguely remember the experiment being for constant radio wave
bouncing off the micrometeor ion trains rather than waiting for a larger
meteor.

Lauren Sobkoviak

At 09:19 AM 11/19/98 EST, you wrote:

><<
> >>Yep.  By bouncing radio waves off the ionized train they leave behind
them!

>There are some remote weather stations that stores up their information and
>when it "senses" a meteor, it immediately transmits the information to bounce
>off the ionized column to it's distant base station. So we do utilize meteors
>in a useful sense.
>george zay

Lauren Sobkoviak
buckshot@empnet.com