From: Mark Vints <mark.vints@skynetdot be>
To: meteorobs@latrade.com <meteorobs@latrade.com>
Date: November 20, 1998 6:23 AM
Subject: (meteorobs) Leonid colors

Several observers on this list have already commented on the colorfull
display the Leonids are currently producing. Just a few notes on some
particular events I witnessed last night.

1.) I saw a stationary fireball in Leo's sickle, which left a green puff of
cloud (meteor train) that later faded to grey and drifted away. Could this
have been real color or just a perception effect? I did not see the actual
meteor directly, but turned because of a flash of light.

2.) Besides many colorful meteors, I saw one in particular which was a
bright blue color, which almost instantly shifted to green-yellow-orange-red
before fading. It looked to me as a black-body emitter would that rapidly
cools. Is this what happened, or was this just another physiological effect?

Any comments welcome ...

greetings,
mark.vints@skynetdot be