[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Tape recorder

Most of the not-too-small units in the $20-$30 range should do fine.
I have (had - just gave it to a friend) a 25-year-old Panasonic that used 4
C cells.  Extremely sensitive built-in mike, would record continuously for
many hours.
I have a new Sony that takes 4 AA cells that looks like it's going to be good.
Etc.  Probably, as others have noted, most of them would work OK.

I also have an old, much smaller unit.  Much more expensive some years ago,
but smaller.  Nearly as good, and handier for starting & stopping recording
in the dark and general handling (tho actually I don't use any of these for
visual meteor observing).
I also have one of the tiny little things that uses micro-cassettes.
Again, more expensive.  And for me, less reliable.  Probably fine for use
when you can see exactly what it's doing, and some other brand might be
fine.  For occasional use the handiest.  For regular use, not sure.

Consider a couple of other things, tho.  A "full size" job (the size of a
small shoe box) is probably cheaper, might be easier on the batteries.
Check the buttons.  One-button record, or push both Play and Record?
Buttons can be hard to hit in the dark.
If a larger model (and possibly even with a little one), definitely
consider a separate mike with a start-stop switch!  (But it will take about
1/2 second for the motor to come up to speed, so careful that you don't
lose the first word).  Can purchase a mike; or can make one with switch
quite easily.  With a lot of activity you'll just let it run.  With little
activity, you may want to start and stop, adding times verbally each time.
But see the books for recommendations on this.

Shelby, W8WN - EM77bq
w8wn@ne.infidot net