[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Phaethonids??? Wha....?

Verish, Robert S wrote:

> "If the Draconids are also called the Giacobinids because their parent comet
> is 21P/Giacobini-Zinner, then why aren't the Geminids also called the
> "Phaethonids", after their parent asteroid 3200Phaethon?"

Robert:

Maybe because no one can pronounce "Phaethonids," much less spell it!

Here's a better guess: the comet was discovered in 1900.  Apparently the
meteor shower was unknown at that time, and was predicted in 1915 based
on the comet's orbit.  Predictions were also made, based on the comet
orbit, for another shower in 1926 (all this information comes from the
IMO Handbook).  In other words, the meteor shower has always been
closely associated with the comet.

By contrast, the first definite mention of the Geminids dates to 1830,
and they were confirmed by 1862 (again, from the IMO Handbook).  However
the meteor shower was apparently not associated with 3200 Phaethon until
well into the 20th Century, by which time the name "Geminids" was firmly
established.  So maybe that's the answer.  I'm just guessing, but it
seems reasonable.

I hope my sky is clearer for the Phaethonids than it was for the
Tempel-Tuttlids!

Dave