[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid Meteorite

The local newspaper reported that a fellow in Victoria, Australia has
found what is claimed to be a leonid meteorite.

I find the whole thing quite unbelievable.

The article states that he was watching the meteor shower in the early
morning out in the country when he saw a brilliant flash and a thing
whizzed past him slamming into the ground. When it was dawn he searched
for it. He found it still glowing hot. It is described as a 7.5 kg black
iron-like meteorite.

I'm interested in the opinions of the list on the possibility of such a
thing occurring.

AFAIK meteors of cometary origin as are the Leonids are merely composed
of ices of gas and dust which are small and have extremely low
densities, and that there has never been recovered any meteorites of
cometary origin. This may be partly due to all of them disintegrating in
the atmosphere and never reaching the ground.

Also, from what I have read, meteors do not glow red hot after they have
reached the ground. In fact they cool during dark flight up to 20kms
above the ground such that they are at ambient ait temperature upon
reaching the ground.

Am I right about the above??

I'm afraid there's too many "hmmms" in the story for my liking.
Don't get me wrong though - any suspected meteorite should be checked
out for authenticity. My gripes with what was published is that it sends
a message that meteor showers are dangerous and perpetuates the idea
that a rocks will start landing on ours head in a meteor shower amongst
others.

--
Michael