[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beware of the anonymous reports; Was (meteorobs) Prospector says he's found Leonid meteorite

Hi List ...

Be aware of the anonymous reports, they ussually tend to be hoaxes ...

> ippoz@eisadot net.au wrote:
>
>  Prospector says he's found Leonid meteorite
> Source: Nine News [Australia]
> Date: November 20 1998
> Header: Prospector says he's found Leonid meteorite
>
> A prospector in country Victoria claims he has found a 7.5 kg
> meteorite still glowing after plummeting to earth in the Leonid
> meteor shower early on Wednesday morning.
>
> The man, who wants to remain anonymous, reported his find to the
> National Space and Meteor Hotline that afternoon and wants it
> independently assessed.

Good for Him ...

> Ross Dowe, who runs the National UFO Hotline, spoke Friday of the
> prospector's experience.

To bad it has been notified also to an UFO Hotline ... It shouldn't be
reported at all to the media until solid evidence ...

> "He said he was at a dam watching the Leonids and doing some yabbying
> when all of a sudden there was a short burst, an eruption and a flash
> and something whooshed past," said Dowe.
>
> "Then there was a huge slam-bam,"

7.5 Kg and only a Slam-Bam ... strange don't You think ... I should
have been (very) vissible long before it "slam-bam" on earth surface

> The prospector waited for dawn and then went searching for the
> object, which he found still glowing in the scrub.

still glowing ??? HHUUUUMMMMM this thing has to coll down in a very
short period of time ... This tels Me that He found it right away ...

> "There is a lot of interest in the Leonids at the moment and as such
> it could be worth a lot of money to this guy," Dowe said.

BINGO ... Now We know ...

> "Some people are saying that with the right buyer it could
> potentially make him tens of millions of dollars."
>
> The man, a prospector for some 10 years, says the oval-shaped 7.5 kg
> object appeared to be a jet-black iron-like composite with blue
> flecks through it.

Iron made leonid ... ???

> He has asked the hotline to act as agents for its sale.

.. worst and worst and worst ...

> Since the find was reported, Dowe said he had heard of a smaller
> meteorite, also possibly from the Leonids, which landed in
> Wollongong, New South Wales, and may soon be put up for auction in
> Sydney.
>
> An astronomer from the Mt Stromlo Observatory in Canberra said it was
> not inconceivable that the man had found a meteorite from the Leonid
> shower.

No, it is not ... it is very unprobable and there has to be solid
evidence

> "It is tough to say without an expert looking at it," said Brian
> Schmidt, research fellow at Mt Stromlo, which is part of the
> Australian National University.
>
> "A few things were big enough (in the Leonid shower) to hit the
> ground."
>
> But it was just as likely to be a common meteorite -- they fall to
> earth on a daily basis -- as a fragment from the long tail of the
> Comet Tempel-Tuttle.
>
> Though the science on the composition of comets was incomplete, a
> fragment of the comet's tail was more likely to be rocky than made of
> iron, he said.

To begin with ... of course it has to be rocky material, not Iron, after
all
to be a eonid it has to be ripped appart from the comet ...