[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) November 17/18 1998 observation

Hello,

Here is my report for November 17/18. Since Ottawa weather conditions
were poor around (and away from) the Leonids max, Cathy and I headed
down to High Bridge, New Jersey, joining Wayne Hally. We hoped to get
at least some Leonids observing. The night of Nov 16/17 turned up to
be overcast, but it cleared late the next day. We were able to get
the next night mostly clear. Our team of NAMN members observed at
the NJAA observatory. We arrived there around 10:30 local edt time,
but stars quickly disapeared as a scattered cloud came over us. I had
to wait until 12:30 local for skies to clear enough so I could start
recording. Temperature were cool but comfortable for this time of the
year. I was very warm in my sleeping bag. I must have overdressed,
thinking it would be colder? I guess those observers in NJ have it easy
for the winter. It was still autumn in NJ while snow and freezing rain
threatened Ottawa.  Anyway, I observed until dawn, for a total
of 4.65 teff (about 4 and a half hours of actual observing time).
There were a few thin clouds at times later at night, interfering
only slightly. My total count is 122 meteors (77 Leonids, 2 S.Taurids,
2 Alpha Monocerotids and 41 sporadics). A few sporadics may be possible
N.Taurids, but were too far from the radiant to confirm. Best Leonids
hour had 27 meteors. Although they were not extraordinary rates, they
were still enhanced. There was a good number of bright meteors and
fireballs. Brightest Leonid was my first of the night, a magn -6
blue/white fireball. It flashed after a long 40 degree path, and left
a persistent 20 second train witnessed by all. Later on, there was a
magn -4 Leonid that left a 12 second train. Three Leonids of magn -3
and two more of magn -2. Also, numerous fainter meteors, most commonly
at magn +3 and +4. My limiting magnitude was surprisingly good at
6.3. Although the NJ sky is not nearly as dark as my usual site
back home, I could still count almost as many stars. Perhaps the
"seeing" was better than ususal for that particular night?
While observing, I also ran a camera (with B&W 400) for most of the
night. There is a very good chance the camera caught at least 2 or
more Leonids. Of of those that cut across the camera field was a
magn.-4 fireball. I also may have caught some of the very short
Leonids I saw close to the radiant. Cathy was also doing photo,
using 2 cameras and experimenting with some unusual film such as
infrared. Films are being processed now. Photo results will be
posted as soon as possible. Here is data summary for my visual
observing below:

BEGIN: 5:30 UT (00:30 EST)  END: 10:50 UT (5:50 EST)
LOCATION: Long: -74d 33'54" West; Lat: 40d 40'52" North,  Elevation:253m
City & State: High Bridge, New Jersey, USA (IMO location#25186)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;    / = shower not watched.

PERIOD(UT)    FIELD   Teff   F      LM    SPO LEO STA AMO
5:30-6:56     SE80    0.99  1.03   6.30    3   5   1   0
6:56-8:07     SE70    1.08  1.00   6.33   13  19   1   1
8:15-9:15     "       1.00  1.02   6.35   13  21   0   1
9:15-10:15    S70     1.00  1.01   6.01    8  27   0   0
10:15-10:50   "       0.58  1.08   5.23    4   5   0   0
Totals:               4.65                41  77   2   2  = 122

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER -6  -5  -4  -3  -2  -1   0  +1  +2  +3  +4  +5

SPO     0   0   0   0   0   1   2   1   8  10  15   4
LEO     1   0   1   3   2   2   9   7  15  19  16   2
STA     0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   1   0   1
AMO     0   0   0   0   0   1   0   0   0   1   0   0
Totals: 1   0   1   3   2   4  11   8  23  31  31   7

SKY OBSCURED (in observer's FOV):
10% from 5:30 to 5:40 UT
15% from 5:40 to 5:44 UT
5% from 8:33 to 9:00 UT
2% from 9:08 to 9:30 UT
3% from 9:30 to 9:50 UT
10% from 10:28 to 10:50 UT

Total dead time: 43 minutes (including plotting time)
Dead time plots: 30sec each (2 plots)
Breaks: UT
5:44-6:21
7:21-7:23
7:44-7:47
8:07-8:15

Pierre Martin                     . . *  . *  .  .
NAMN Visual meteor observer       .  .    .  .   . .
RASC Ottawa - meteor coordinator   .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa Valley Astronomy and          . .   . .  .
Observers Group                         /  . .  . .