[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) VLF/ELF-emission of fireballs

Hello, i'm new here...

[Hans Guenter Koenig, D-64354 Reinheim - starting to become an amateur observer]

... well, my first question:

has anyone taken some recordings of electromagnetic vlf/elf-emission (in the
audible band) during a fireball event? I'd like to compare it with my own
recordings. Please return usefull links/urls where i can get some related
sound-files (xxx.WAV).

I`ve tried to receive a vlf-event during the late leonid meteor shower
(unfortunately i missed the best time by a whole day). One impressive LEO (truly
brighter than -5) was seen at this time (Nov. 19th - 3:30-5:30 UT). The total
number of meteors seen through my 'frozen' window (8 LEOs, 2 SOs) is useless.
Due to a technical problem, i couldn't monitoring the vlf-signal and the sky
simultaneously - also i didn't take the correct time. Later on, i revised my
tape and found a strange noise differing from a regular spheric (lightning
event). It sounds like a 'swirling boomerang'. I dont belive that it is an
echoed spheric due to its (nearly) constant amplitude. Was it the desired
vlf-footprint of a fireball - or is there an other explanation?

This year i should be better prepared for the main meteor showers!!!

For people who like to hear the unidentified vlf-event:

-----> greenfield.fortunecity.com/tower/92/vlf/event3.wav (140kByte)

(mixed with some artifical humm noises and a spheric of its origine)

Thanks for all responses

Hans Guenter