[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lurker Steps Out With Electrophonics and Leonids

I've been lurking around for a month, thought I would contribute
something on the Leonids that didn't get posted on SeeSat-L for some
reason (returned). Also, despite hundreds of hours of observing the
night sky that I've done over the last 18 months, my wife saw that
bolide of 10 Sept. 1998 from inside the house with only about 5
degrees of sky visible. I would complain to someone of the unfairness
of that but at least one of us saw it. Of interest to those who are
into electrophonics, she said she felt pressure on her ears and that
the dog also looked attentive as if he heard something unusual. I
don't dought her for a moment, I've seen the pain she has with her
sensitive ears while driving up low mountains.

     The post to SeeSat that was returned was very early, twelve hours
earlier than the next post on them to SeeSat, so I thought it may be
of interest to those who are following that particular meteor shower.
The message was sent just after I came in on Monday, 16 Nov. 1998 in
the early morning:

      "I just missed getting my eyes seared by a large bright meteor
at 04:47 in Oceanside, California while looking near my zenith with
10X50 binoculars. The meteor was about 2 degrees out of my vision but
turned the sky I was looking at blue. This thing could have been seen
in daytime, it left a trail of smoke that was visible for 1 1/2
minutes, but no sound. Other meteors very bright and quick, almost
like flash bulbs and short lasting smoke as usual. Maybe this won't be
the best night, Tuesday (morning after 0000 hours) to use binoculars
for overhead viewing because of the intensity of light from some of
the meteors."

     I thought that I may be getting the begining of the shower and
wanted to warn fellow SeeSaters about the bright meteors as the shower
passed their locations around the world.

     I'm also interseted in electrophonics and visited Colin Keay's
site. Poor Brian.
                            Dave English