[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lurker Steps Out With Electrophonics and Leonids

Dave>>The message was sent just after I came in on Monday, 16 Nov. 1998 in
the early morning:

      "I just missed getting my eyes seared by a large bright meteor
at 04:47 in Oceanside, California while looking near my zenith with
10X50 binoculars. The meteor was about 2 degrees out of my vision but
turned the sky I was looking at blue. This thing could have been seen
in daytime, it left a trail of smoke that was visible for 1 1/2
minutes, but no sound. Other meteors very bright and quick, almost
like flash bulbs and short lasting smoke as usual. Maybe this won't be
the best night, Tuesday (morning after 0000 hours) to use binoculars
for overhead viewing because of the intensity of light from some of
the meteors."<<

Yes indeedy...this was the same one I saw and gave it a -16. Lunsford gave it
a -19. The magnitude was probably anywhere along those two numbers. The time I
had for it's occurrence was at 4h49m37seconds. It's visible train for me
lasted over 8 minutes. I agree...there were no sounds to it at all. I paid
real close attention to that aspect both when it occurred and minutes later. I
made the same description at the time...turning the sky a daylight blue. It
was also the fireball that one of my guided camera's got a small area of my
observation imprinted from the flash. Probably the most exciting fireball I've
ever seen.
GeoZay