[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Rotating earth?

josefo@infoseldot net.mx wrote:

> > Asaf Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> >
> > We have a given meteor. How does it burn up in the atmosphere? Is it a
> > moveless grain of dirt, which burns in the atmosphere and the rotating
>

> Actually both ...
>
> For the speeding salt grain size meteor the Earth is almost standing
> still but it is moving, not only rotationally but translating
> around the Sun ...

  And this leads to an another question: How did this grain formed?  As
comets originate from the leftover gas and dust, in what way were these
grains able to be born at all in the outer solar system with low pressure
and concentration?

  Few years ago I came across this article, or maybe an IAU circular, which
describes about (radar?) observation of a comet - and it being surrounded
by milloins of inch size iceballs.  And ever since I'm been more and less
inclined to believe meteors being ice (and with some dust) rather than solid
material.  And before the Leonids meteor shower it was interesting to see
that in NASA's press releases there was more and more talk about volatile
material and not just incidnetally menttioned meteors being grains of sand.

Follow-Ups: References: