[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor-Photography

Asaf wrote:

->
>in the next telescope I'm building, a 70mm f/5.6 refracter, I want to
>be able to catch photographs of meteors, and detect their velocity. I
>know it's possible cause I saw such a scope. How do I do so?

    It would be better to use a conventional camera equipped with an
interupting rotating shutter.  This shutter should be driven by a constant
speed synchronous type motor so the speed remains constant.  If your supply
frequency is constant, such a motor will run at a fixed rate.  You can also
use a crystal controlled oscillator, such as the type used to control
telescope drives, in order to keep the motors speed constant.  The
interuption rate can be from 10 to 60 times per second.  From a single
station photograph such a system will only give you angular velocity.  For
actual velocity the meteor will have to be photographed from two or more,
different locations separated 50 or so kms apart.

Ed