[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor-Photography

Asaf>>in the next telescope I'm building, a 70mm f/5.6 refracter, I want to
be able to catch photographs of meteors, and detect their velocity. I
know it's possible cause I saw such a scope. How do I do so?<<

You'd probably be a lot better off if you just attach your camera to a sturdy
tripod and point upwards. In front of your lens, have a rotating shutter
going. With your cable released locked open, there will be many open and
closings in front of your lens from the rotating shutter. It is very important
to note the opening and closing of your shutter with the cable release down to
the exact second. Then be on guard for a bright meteor's appearance and note
it's time to within about 3 seconds. With your rotating shutter, you will have
to find a way to determine it's revolutions per minute and then figured to the
second. Then with the number of blades, you can figure how many times the
shutter is being opened and closed each second as the blades cross over. When
you make a photograph of a meteor capture, make sure it is of the whole
negative. When you make your exposures, you will have to know what major stars
will be in the frame. At least three, but preferably 6 spread out over the
image. I sometimes try to aim my camera towards the Big Dipper if possible, or
some other prominent group of stars that would be somewhat easy to recognize
later from the trailing star images which you will have. This is pretty much
an over simplification of what's all involved...but should be in the ball park
at this stage.
GeoZay