[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) IMO-NEWS: Unusual activity in early March?

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:12:34 +0100 (MET)
From: Sirko Molau <molau@informatik.rwth-aachendot de>
Subject: unusual activity in early March?

Dear friends,
about a month ago I asked for special attention in the nights around
March 5. The reason was usual meteor activity that was reported from
Lidar observations on the morning of March 7, 1997.

Unfortunately, the weather was not very cooperative with most observers
in 1999, and moon conditions were not favourable either. Still I received
a number of interesting mails, which I want to summarize here.

Hashimoto Takema wrote, that Japanese observers have been observing
enhanced radio meteor rates between early March and early April with a
maximum in late March. However, this is probably not connected to the
phenomenon described by the Lidar operators, who observed enhanced rates
in a single night only.

Chris Steyaert was so kind to check the RMOB radio data of early March
for unusual activity. Even though there are some weak structures in the
graphs, none of them looks convincing or fits the time of the Lidar
observation.

Tim Cooper reminded me to the alpha Pyxisids, which showed quite strong
activity in March 6/7, 1979. Still, also this shower cannot be the source
we were looking for, as the radiant at -35 deg declination hardly rises
above the horizon of the Kuehlungsborn observing site.
Tim was also able to observe on March 7/8, 8/9 and 10/11, without noting
something unusual, however.

To cut the long story short: So far there is no convicing hint on distinct
meteor activity in early March. I would like to thank those people
who communicated their data and helped to clarify the situation.

Best regards,
Sirko Molau

- --
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *
*  Ahornstr. 55, D-52056 Aachen, Germany      *       " 2B v 2B "        *
*  phone: +49-241-8021615                     *             Shakespeare  *
*  fax  : +49-241-8888219                     *                          *
*  email: molau@informatik.rwth-aachendot de     *                          *
*  www  : http://www.informatik.rwth-aachendot de/I6/Colleagues/molau       *