[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Virus

In a message dated 3/24/99 10:52:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
prospector@sd.znet.com writes:

<< Nice to be back. Today Khaled Tell of the Jordanian
 Astronomical Society sent a message that started with 644 Happy99.exe,
 but it's not an attatchment, however, it's all computer programing.
 Will this disrupt our computers? Is this what Josie Caat was refering
 to?  Khaled's address is:      talcon<talcon@go.com.jo>

        I'm somewhat new to computers, only a 1 1/2 years so I'm not
 that familiar with the workings, but I'm concerned. If you deleted the
 message, I still have it.

                             Dave English >>
The 644 happy99.exe files was uee(or something like that) encoded into the
email.  Unless you have a decoder(which is a totally seperate program from
your email reader), decoded it, and then ran it, nothing will happen.  If you
have the virus, you know it, because all your emails will have happy99.exe
attached.  I assume the person who had this in their email may not have been
abble to send attachments, and the virus attached itself as a uee encoded file
instead.  Hope this helps.

I guess the non-astro guy can be good for something ;)