[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Asteroid impact...

Greetings all,

The following is a cross-posting from the RASC list, regarding a possible
asteroid impact on the moon...  It's in French, but an approximate English
translation follows it...

Discussion on the RASC list seemed to question the date, whether it was to
be yesterday (March 31st) or today...

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Canada

Brice-Olivier Demory wrote:
> Bonjour a tous !
> Je vous confirme cet evenement. L'asteroide en question, denomme
> 9873 Nossiop, d'une masse estimee a 290 tonnes ira s'ecraser sur la
> Lune. Repere le 29 fevrier dernier, par le centre de recherche
> E.K.O.J en Bielorussie, l'asteroide avait alors une vitesse de 49 km/s.
> Sa trajectoire, calculee par les americains, au H.S.I.F. (Hompton
> Search Institute for Femtonics), etait prevue pour entrer en collision
> avec notre satellite. D'apres ce meme organisme, l'impact se produirait
> dans la mer des crises, donc facilement visible d'autant que ce sera la
> pleine Lune. Ne ratez donc pas cet evenement, prevu a 22h06 (UT) mercredi.
>
> Envoyez sur la liste vos comptes rendus d'observation !
> Brice-Olivier Demory - http://www.skylink-astrodot net/pagepers/demory

>Approximate translation:

>The Asteroid 9873 Nossiop, of a mass of 290 tons, should impact the
>moon. Found last february 29, by the reseach center E.K.O.J. in
>Bielorussia, the asteroid had a speed of 49 km/h. It's trajectory,
>calculated by the americans at H.S.I.F. (Hompton Search Institute for
>Femtonics) leads to believe it will impact with our satellite. According
>to this organism, the impact will occur in the Mare Crisium, and should
>be visible, since it will be full moon. this event is scheduled for
>wednesday at 22h06 UT.

No further details have been heard... ;>