[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) radio viewing

At 11:22 PM 4/1/99 -0500, David Wilson wrote:
[snip]
>  Is this group mainly optical or radio or both ??

Mainly optical but as I mentioned earlier, with a high number of the
world's foremost professional and amateur radio meteoricists, too. The NAMN
web site FAQ sheet describes the purpose of the organization; this
reflector subscribers are mostly members of NAMN.

>...wondering if any respondents have picked up Irish or other European
>signals during a meteorite incursion ??

I presume that you mean cross-Atlantic between North America and Europe.
The answer is no, no such reports have surfaced of such distances using
purely meteor reflections although there were some of us undertaking
cross-Atlantic tests during the Leonids '98, and we will probably do it
again during the Leonids '99.

In fact, of the two longest amateur radio meteor distance records that
still stand, one is now thought to have been partially assisted by sporadic
E reflections in mid-path, while the exact location of one of the two
stations who set the other record has been under question for some years.
Both of these were over 3000 km, one record set in Europe and the other
between Arkansas and Puerto Rico, both on 144 MHz.

73 and Clear skies,

SteveH K0XP
Shrewsbury Mass