[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: "Contributing Scientificlly"?

Asaf Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> Why reporting Meteor Observing Reports to the IMO is
> considered "Contributing Scientifically"? What benefit
> does science get from counting numbers of meteors &
> their identifications on meteor showers?
>  ----------------------------------------

This is a very good question Asaf and I am surprised it is not brought
up more often.

I could ramble on for a couple of pages but a section in the current IMO
Handbook states it much better:

"Meteor observations can provide a lot of valuable information about the
spatial distribution, origin, evolution, and decay of meteoroids. As we
have seen, the meteoric complex shows a strong relationship to the
asteroids and well as to comets, thus meteor astronomy also contributes
to our ideas about the origin, evolution, and the structure of our Solar
System. Comparing meteor observations with other fields of astronomical
observation, there are many differences. A major one is caused by the
phenomena itself. Only the final stage of a particle's trajectory
through the Earth's atmosphere may be observed, when the path has
already been substantially disturbed by the Earth itself. Another point
is the necessity to obtain a large sample of events before any
conclusions can be drawn. Each individual observation thus has to last
for a relatively long time.  For instance, it is possible to gather
several tens of magnitude estimates for different variable stars during
a single night, while a single useful interval for meteor observing last
from 1 to 3 hours.

Since the limiting magnitude of the human eye enables the observation of
a wide range of magnitudes, representing a similar range of particle
sizes, from fireballs to +6 magnitude meteors, a large sample of data
may be collected by visual means. Visual work requires relatively
inexpensive equipment, thus it is often mentioned as a suitable field
for beginners. By starting with an observation of a major shower maximum
an observer can certainly have a very pleasurable time too. As visual
observations extend toward periods of lower activity, however, more
perseverance and experience are needed. In the following chapters you
will discover what is needed to reach various different observing goals,
and how observing may become more exciting the more you watch, as you
progress towards more serious astronomical observations. Along the way
you will also gain respect for the naked eye, which is real a unique and
superb natural sensor. Enjoy your observing, as well as knowing you are
contributing to a deeper understanding of part of the universe around
us."

Bob Lunsford