[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Somewhat unusual (?) telescopic obs.

Monday evening here was unusually clear.  A friend and I went
satellite observing, and during about two hours (2:00-4:00
UTC on Tuesday 6 April) each of us observed two or three faint
coincidental meteors cross the 1-degree field of the eyepiece
of my friend's 8-inch dobsonian telescope.  That seemed unusual
to me, as my experience in the last three years is that it's
rare to see even one telescopic meteor in a given session.  I
believe that the magnification with that eyepiece is about 80x.

Also during the evening both of us noticed simultaneously a
bright flash from the sky, but neither of us saw a fireball.
To my knowledge there were no thunderstorms nor even clouds
within 50 or 100 miles or more of our location, which was
30.314N, 97.866W, about 280 meters above sea level.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA