[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Light Pollution

In a message dated 99-04-08 09:29:25 EDT, GLIBA@grovx3.gsfc.nasadot gov writes:

<< I flatly don't beleive anyone anywhere can see LMs in the 8.5-8.9 range
with
 the naked-eye. Surely this must be a typo of 7.5-7.9!  >>

I can only say that I personally knew of one gentleman who had 20-8 vision
and claimed to be able to readily naked-eye stars down to eighth magnitude.
His name is Allen Seltzer and for many years he was the Education Coordinator
at the Hayden Planetarium in New York.  Allen had the ability to easily
descern Jupiter's four Galilean Satellites without optical aid, as well as
the crescent of Venus.  Once, the late George Lovi and I challenged Allen to
read newsprint from the New York Times at a distance of over 20 feet -- and
he did it!  -- joe rao