[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dr. C.P. Olivier (Some Unusual obs.)

Joe Rao recently wrote:

>Olivier passed away in 1975.  He had a fairly robust life, living well into
>his 90's.

An interesting character. Although I never met him, we corresponded by mail.
He wrote letters by hand well into his 80s. He founded the American Meteor
Society in 1911. When younger he observed meteors with the best of the hardy
amateurs, even though he was a professor with a PhD!  Besides being a tough
observer, he was also a pioneer in meteoric research, disproving William F.
Denning's stationary radiant hypothesis, and proving the association of both
the Eta Aquarid and Orionid annual meteor showers with Halley's comet. Among
other accomplishments, he wrote two books now considered classics, Meteors in
1924, and Comets in 1930. He was one of the greatest meteor experts of this
past century.

GWG