[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Telescopic Meteors I: AMS 1972

Pursuant to the discussion on AMS, AAVSO, and telescopic meteors, I scanned
in a portion of the 1972 AMS Annual Report.  Blame any typos on my scanner,
not me!  I tried to correct as many as possible.

You will note that telescopic rates, when reported, were highly variable.
Unfortunately, the reporting form for "casual" telescopic meteors only
included a space for an estimate of the total observing time covered by the
report.  Those estimates, if my own is anything to judge by, are pretty
rough.  Thus the total hours are not reported here except for those who
watched specifically for TM's for logged periods of time.

This should give you all an idea of the level of participation during that
time period, and the volume of material that may be in the AMS archive:

                            -6-

                         TABLE II
                 Telescopic Meteors - 1972

Adams, M.          Warrington, Pa.        29    Bin.
Adams, R. McC.     Neosho, Mo.            19    12.5" refl.
Bedient, J.        Oahu, Hawaii            2    4.5" refl., bin.
Bortle, J.E.       Stormwille, N.Y.       18    12.5" & 61, refl., bin.
Cook, A.           Pomona, Calif.          1    6" refl.
de Silva, J.M.     Parana, Obs., Brazil    2    8X30 mm refr.
Ford, C.R.         Wilton, Conn.           9    12.51 refl.
Friton, E.E.       Webster Groves, Mo.     2    12 mm refr.
Gates, B.          Alburquerque, N.M.     14    Bin.
Hale, M.,          Canisteo, N.Y.          1    Bin.
Hill, R.           Greensboro, N.C.       10    Bin.
Hunaberger. P.     Souderton, Pa.         15    101, & 6" refl.
Jordahl, D.        Fredrick, Md.           8    2.4" refr., bin.
Kelley, G.W.       Glade Springs,    Va.   2    6" refl.
Lima, R.           Jacksonville. Fla.      1    8" refl.
McLeod, N.W.       Leesburg, Fla.          3    Bin.
Morrow, M.         Hale Hoku Obs., Hawaii  4    16" refl.
Mulligans T.       Jamaica, N.Y.           5    6" refl. & Finder
Ottawa Canada Team Ottawa, Canada          4    16" refl.
Porter, A.         Narragansett, R.I.      5    6" refl.
Roscoe, M.         Jacksonville, Fla.      2    6" refl.
Schaefer, Be       Littlotont Colo.        7    Bin,
Schmidt, T.E.      Tiera, Obs., Colo.      9    5" refr,
Scovil, C.S.       Stanford, Conn.         4    22" Maksutov
Simmons, K.        Jacksonville, Fla.    160    Bin.
Sutherland, D.A.   Pen Hook, Va.          23    16" refl.
Sweetsir, R.A.     Jacksonville,    Fla.  16    Bin.
West, 'J.          Brian, Tx.             13    6" refl.

         Brevard Astronomical
              Society
Ball, C.           Satellite Beach, Fla,   4    16" refl.
Del Do, L.         Satellite Beach, Fla.   4    Bin.
Povenmire, H.      Indian Head Beach, Fla. 7    8" refl,
Sealer, M.         Cocoa, Fla.            38    5" refr.
Sharpe, D.         Satellite Beach, Fla.  33    16", 8", 4" refl, bin.

                           Total         474

Notes: At Tiera Observatory, S.D, Warner and T. E. Schmidt determined a fine
radiant from 8 telescopic meteors at R.A. 7h 49.4 m, Decl. +14 01, (1950) on
1971 Dec. 10.7 U.T. This is A.M.S. No. 5856.

M. Adams, in 12 continuous watches of 20 to 40 min. each during Jan. and
Feb.
observed 29, average rate 1 every, 12 min.

R. Hill saw all his 10 on Jan. 8 and 9; on Jan. 8, 6 in 13 min.

P. Hunsberger, of his 15, observed 7 on Dec. 7 within 3 hours.

M. Sesler recorded his 38 while comet seeking.

D. Sharpe, observing variables recorded 15, 4 on March 20 U.T. In regular
meteor watchs 18 of which 9 were on Dec. 29 U.T. within 2 hours of
continuous observing.

D. A. Sutherland, while comet seeking in Jan. and Feb. in 22 hours, saw 23
meteors, largest number 3 each on Jan. 5 and Jan. 7.

R. W. Sweetsir made continuous observations on Oct. 7,8,9, all clear nights,
lasting 150, 150, and 180 min. each, yielding 5,7,4 meteors respectively;
average 1 every 30 min.,

K. Simmons observed an 13 nights in months Sept. to Dec., recording from
4 to 34 mieteors per night, many plotted.  The maximum was Oct. 13, when
34 were plotted.  His work is too extensive to be covered adequately in this
brief note, but with others will be discussed later in a separate article,
dealing with telescopic meteors.  He also obtained an excellent photographic
radiant, by plotting 7 meteors he photographed and then transferred to a
regular
chart, at R.A. 112.5, Decl.+31.8 on Dec. 13.93 GMT. (Dec. 14.43 UT).  A.M.S.
No.
5857.