[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid Meteor Tour

I had asked Lew Gramer late last week about posting a notice here on the
meteorobs list about a tour to view the Leonid Meteors -- one that I myself
was in the process of putting together.  I was a bit concerned since I was
not quite sure about whether such a "commercial" announcement would be
allowed.  Lew was kind enough to say "sure, go right ahead!"  But rather than
post the details here, I would invite any and all interested parties that
they can get all the necessary details by e-mailing a message to:
TheLeonids@aol.com.

The tour includes three-days in Madrid, and three-days on the Canary Island
of Lanzarote (which will coincide with the peak of the 1999 Leonids).  On
Lanzarote, long-term climate records indicate a 70% chance of clear or thin
scattered clouds at night during November with an average nighttime
temperature of 62 degrees F.  Lanzarote is of volcanic origin and its
Timanfaya Park very much resembles a lunar landscape.  Nights are very dark;
the Milky Way is brilliant.

The island observes Greenwich Time, which places it in prime position for
Leonid viewing should maximum occur during a projected "window" of 2 to 4
hours UT.

-- joe rao