[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) AMS Archives

Jim Bedient sent us an enticing overview of some of the materials
contained in Dr. Olivier's historical data archive. Thanks, Jim!

Jim also wrote:
>We've had some inconclusive discussions on what to do with the
>archives as far as making data accessible, all of which begin with
>shipping boxes of material across the country. This is ... risky

It is indeed very risky, as witnessed by the stories Jim Richardson
can tell about certain key parts of the archive which have already
been misplaced over the years, due to entrusting them outside the
physical confines of the Geneseo "archive" - which I understand to
actually be a space between walls in the SUNY Geneseo planetarium!

However among those of us on the 'meteorobs' list, there is a fair
sized concentration of people within possible driving distance of
the physical archive in Upstate NY, USA. With the right incentive,
I feel sure there are those of us who'd be willing to take on the
"grunt" volunteer work of digitizing these archives for posterity!

I for one would hop in a car on any given Full Moon weekend... :)

Clear skies,
Lew