[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LYRIDS

Thanks for making your first post to 'meteorobs', Todd! I sure was glad to hear
you had an enjoyable time watching for meteors! Seeing three meteors in a half
hour this time of year is not unusual, especially if you are forced to observe
from an area where man-made "light pollution" hides the fainter stars (and
meteors) from view - which is almost always true in the suburbs...

Of course, as the Lyrids pick up over the next week or so, you should see that
number improve more and more. And if you can get out to a much darker site, away
from city lights and local lights, it'll improve even faster! :)

BTW, with just a little bit of practice over the next few clear nights, you
should be able to start turning those quiet times under the sky into a valuable
SCIENTIFIC contribution to meteorics. If you're interested in trying this (and
most of us on here are!), you may want to look over the Web site of the North
American Meteor Network, which explains both the how AND the why:

        http://Web.InfoAvedot net/~meteorobs/

And of course, if you have any questions, you know where we all "live". :)

Clear skies and many meteors!
Lew Gramer