[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: the august 12th 1998 bolide - a forgotten meteorite?

[Note that Dr. Carbognani is not currently a subscriber to the 'meteorobs'
mailing list. So if you reply, please manually place 'albino@prix7.pr.infndot it'
in the "Cc:" line of your email. Thanks! -Lew Gramer]

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Hans Guenter Koenig wrote:
> I think that the possible impact area of this (possible) meteorit (may
> be that it was the bolide you observed) was close to the city of Dieburg
> - within a forrest area in the south-east. So i've seen a strange
> looking stone (more cylindrical or egg-shaped; sized ~ 150mmx80mm)
> partially  broken and scattered arround 2m beside a highly frequented
> road three days later. Unfortunately i missed to collect it and i'ts
> fragments due to the traffic conditions. Now (eight months later and
> after reading your paper) i'm going to start my third field excursion
> to this place - hope that something's left. If nowbody has kicked this
> 'stone' into the near bushes or collected it for himself - this
> 'extraterrestric' probably ended in the inner side of a orange-painted
> gigantic vacuum-cleaner - forever. Perhaps your bolide travelled some
> more km in NW as you predicted - or not - i did not heard more about it.
> Please let me know if there is more information available. Such an real
> medium-sized meteorite (>1000kg?) mentioned in your paper should not
> become a forgotten meteorit!

Dear Hans,
thank you very much for your interesting report about the night of
12/8/1998. Besides the article I wrote (and you found on the web)
nothing more has been written, here in Italy, about this event.
Unfortunately this is quite common in our country and I consider
myself very lucky just for having collect four of five different
wittnesses. I appreciate very much your searching for the meteorite.
Remember that you can easily distinguish between a meteorite and a common
stone thanks to the fact that the outer shell of the meteorite (fusion
crust) is black and the density of the meteorite is higher than that
of a terrestrial stone. If you will find the stone you mentioned, please
let me see a photograph. If you will not found anything I suggest you to
search nearby the coordinate I have calculated in my article.
It would be extremely interesting to be able to write something about the
discovery of this meteorite!
Best regards

Dr Albino Carbognani
Physics Departement Parma University