[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Green meteors

John,

I would not call you odd at all. There were many other reports of green
fireballs during last year's Leonids. There were also pictures showing
green/pink streaks. Perhaps you were actually seeing the correct colors!

My brighter Leonids were all bluish and some even had orange nuclei (the
actual meteoroid itself). I tend to see most swift meteors as blue and
sometimes yellow. Slow meteors appear to me as orange with a few more
yellows thrown in. I cannot say I have ever seen a truly red or
purple/violet meteor.

Although some meteor authorities state that data on meteor color is
useless, I sure find this topic interesting!

John Krempasky wrote:

> EVERY single Leonid I saw last year  (and I was out for 5-6 hours on the
> night of peak for the East Coast, total in the several hundreds) appeared
> very clearly green to me.
>
> However, almost none of the Perseids  and no Quadrantids I've seen looked
> very green at all.
>
> I can't figure out what is so odd about me.

Follow-Ups: References: