[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: ATM Meteor Observing Organizations

> I heard about at least 3 Meteor Organizations &
> groups, that collect infromation about Fireballs &
> Meteor Observings. Why don't all od the societies &
> organizations hand in all of the reports to the IMO,
> that way we'll have all information is one place?

Hi Asaf,

That was indeed a goal in the formation of the IMO -- a depository of
worldwide meteor observations. The IMO has been extremely successful in
implementing this work as can be seen from the large numbers of observations
submitted in 1998. I do believe the majority of meteor organizations are now
sending copies of their reports to the IMO. For those few who don't, I can
not really offer you any answer as to why.

 > Now when I have a report to give in, to what
> organization should I give it to? IMO? And what
> happens if I wrote a whole booklet of Observations,
> but never gave the information in, is it too late to
> give it to the IMO, or American Meteor Society,
> etc.?

This is a difficult question to answer as it depends on who it is you submit
your observations to. Also, it is somewhat of a personal choice for you to
make. But to begin with, it is never too late to turn your reports in.
Whoever you send your reports to, I recommend that you make sure that they
will also forward a copy to the IMO. (If not, you should send a copy in
yourself to Rainer Arlt)

In my case, I receive reports from several different meteor groups as well
as individual observers. I then archive these reports into an observing
period format similar to what IMO uses. Copies of the original reports are
also provided to the IMO for their use. A master hardcopy is maintained at
the headquarters of the American Meteor Society in New York.

So as you can see, meteor reports can travel far and wide! ;)

Hope this helps,

Mark Davis
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Visual Program Coordinator
North American Meteor Network & American Meteor Society