[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet DIGEST, 16 April 1999"

In a message dated 4/17/99 9:30:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mvanamo@sci.fi
writes:

<<   So, we don't necessary have to wait 99 years for the next big Leonid
display,
 but maybe only 33 years.  I wonder if they calculated 33 and 66 years ahead.

While I don't think anybody has yet done the specific calculations for
prospective activity in 2031, the parent comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle will
approach to within 1.5 AU of Jupiter in August 2029.  Since the strands of
large particles generally follow behind the comet by about 300 days or less,
I would suspect that they too will undergo the same perturbations that will
throw the comet off-course.  Hence, it seems that we'll not only lose our
chance at a Leonid storm on the next cycle, but possibly another fireball
bevy as well.   :(

-- joe rao