[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet DIGEST, 16 April 1999"

David Asher and I have looked at 2031 in the WGN article, but I will await
its publication before making any comments.

The resonant zone of meteoroids in the Asher, Bailey, Emel'yanenko covers
about 10 degrees of mean anomaly (about 1/36th of the comet orbit), with
the comet currently at the back of this resonant zone (fireball showers in
years before the comet).  I don't know of any a priori reason why the
comet should not occupy any position within the resonant zone, so there
will probably be times in the future (and possibly in the past) when the
comet will lead the resonant meteoroids and the fireball shower would
occur after the comet's perihelion, should an intersection with a resonant
section of a trail be encountered.

Note that the resonance is in mean-motion, and the other angular elements
are free to vary to a certain extent.  This can result in a dust trail
intersecting the Earth when the comet's orbit is well clear of an
intersection (as in 1998).

 Cheers, Rob

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au