[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Two bright Virginids?

We were observing satellites again at BCRC (30.314N, 97.866W,
280m).  My satellite observing colleague saw a bright meteor,
about +1, heading SSW from a point well southeast of the
zenith.  Less than 10 (perhaps as few as 5) minutes later, I
saw another one, also about +1, heading WSW from south of the
zenith.  In comparing them, my friend, who is also an expert
amateur astronomer, looked at star charts and said they would
both trace back to a point in Virgo.  We were distracted by a
one-power flash from a quasi-geosynchronous satellite,
Superbird A, before I managed to get down a note on the color
of the one I saw (not an unusual color, I think).  My friend
said the one he saw was slow and green or greenish.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA