[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lyrids Observations: South Carolina, USA

After a long spell, the weather folks finally got me some clear skies the
past two mornings which allowed some observing. Since I had to work right
after both observing sessions, I decided to use my Sullivan's Island site
which is only a couple miles from home. It suffers from poorer skies, but is
much more convenient, especially when reporting for work at 6:30 am.

On April 20/21 I began observing at 0700 hours UT and over the next hour and
a half, saw only a sprinkling of meteors. The Lyrids were almost nonexistent
with only 2 making an appearance, and those two appearing toward the end of
the session.

There was no breeze at all this night, so I suffered some from the
mosquitoes, but that is standard fare for here. Of the 10 meteors I saw the
first night, only one had any color to it. That was a yellow, +1.0 magnitude
sporadic.

The following morning, April 21/22, was not covered as well as I had hoped.
I was only able to get a little more than an hour of Teff beginning at 0652
UT. The night started off promising with the first two meteors being Lyrids
and appearing at 0653 and 0656. But then they were turned off. I only saw 2
more the rest of the session. No colors were observed this morning, but more
surprising was the fact that I saw no trains either morning.

This second session was a more comfortable morning as the breeze kept the
bugs away, and caused the bells off the navigational buoys at sea to ring.
Even with the meager Lyrid activity, with the waves crashing on the beach,
and the bells tolling across the water underneath Scorpius, it was well
worth the loss of sleep!

Below are the quick summaries:

Apr. 20/21  0700-0830 UT  Teff=1.50  LM=5.20  F=1.00  LYR(2)  SPO(8)

Apr. 21/22  0652-0804 UT  Teff=1.20  LM=5.14  F=1.00  LYR(4)  SPO(7)

Full reports will be sent IMO, AMS, ALPO, NASA.

Mark Davis, MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA