[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet DIGEST, 23 April 1999"

------- Forwarded Message

From: Benny J Peiser <b.j.peiser@livjm.acdot uk>
To: cambridge-conference@livjm.acdot uk
Subject: CCNet DIGEST 23 April 1999
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:51:00 -0400 (EDT)

CCNet DIGEST, 23 April 1999
---------------------------

(1) SPORADIC BACKGROUND COMPONENT IN METEOR ACITIVY
    Jonathan Shanklin <jdsh@mail.nerc-bas.acdot uk>

[..]

(5) CRATER COUNT REVEAL SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES FOR IMPACTS ON
    EARTH & MARS
    J. Caers et al., STANFORD UNIVERSITY

[...]

(9) SECULAR INTERACTIONS OF COORBITING OBJECTS
    F. Namouni, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON QUEEN MARY & WESTFIELD COLL

(10) EXTERNAL SOURCES OF WATER FOR MERCURY'S PUTATIVE ICE DEPOSIT
     J.I. Moses et al., LUNAR & PLANETARY INSTITUTE

(11) ORIGIN OF POLYMICT BRECCIAS ON ASTEROIDS
     K. Saiki et al., AKITA UNIVERSITY

===========
(1) SPORADIC BACKGROUND COMPONENT IN METEOR ACITIVY

>From Jonathan Shanklin <jdsh@mail.nerc-bas.acdot uk>

Re: CCNet Digest, 22 April 1999

The NASA article at
http://science.nasadot gov/newhome/headlines/ast21apr99_1.htm
is quite informative, however NASA seem to be unaware that there is a
sporadic background component to meteor activity and that there are
also a number of minor showers active during the first four months of
the year. Meteor enthusiasts will actually see 5 - 10 meteors an hour
most clear mornings from the sporadic component. The Virginid minor
shower is active throughout March and April and in total this will
produce more meteors than the much shorter lived Lyrid shower, though
the peak rate is only around 5 meteors an hour. The only exception to
this is when the Lyrids produce their occasional outbursts and I was
fortunate enough to see the 1982 outburst from the South Atlantic. This
produced a ZHR of around 100 but the observed rate was barely half
this. I've seen 8 Lyrids in one watch so far in April but it looks as
if cloud will obscure the maximum.  UK observers can start looking any
time after midnight, but the moon will interfere a bit until around 03
BST and it begins to get light around 04 BST.

Jon Shanklin
j.shanklin@bas.acdot uk
British Antarctic Survey, Cambridge, England
http://www.nbs.acdot uk/public/icd/jds

==================
(5) CRATER COUNT REVEAL SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES FOR IMPACTS ON
    EARTH & MARS

J. Caers*), J. Beirlant, M.A. Maes: Statistics for modeling heavy
tailed distributions in geology: Part II. Applications. MATHEMATICAL
GEOLOGY, 1999, Vol.31, No.4, pp.411-434

*) STANFORD UNIVERSITY,STANFORD,CA,94305

In this paper we present three diverse types of applications of extreme
value statistics in geology, namely: earthquakes magnitudes, diamond
values, and impact crater size distribution on terrestrial planets.
Each of these applications has a different perspective toward tail
modeling, yet many of these phenomena exhibit heavy or long tails which
can be modeled by power laws. It is shown that the estimation of
important tail characteristics, such as the extreme value index, is
directly linked to the interpretation of the underlying geological
process. Only the most extreme data are useful for studying such
phenomena so thresholds must be selected above which the data become
power laws. In the case of earthquake magnitudes, we investigate the
use of extreme value statistics in predicting large events on the
global scale and for shallow intracontinental earthquakes in Asia.
Large differences are found between estimates obtained from extreme
value statistics and the usually applied standard statistical
techniques. In the case of diamond deposits, we investigate the impact
of the most precious stones in the global valuation of primary
deposits. It is shown that in the case of Pareto-type behavior the
expected value of few extreme stones in the entire deposit has
considerable influence on the global valuation. In the case of impact
crater distributions, we study the difference between craters
distributions on Earth and Mars and distributions occurring on other
planets or satellites within the solar system. A striking result is
that all planets display the same distributional tail except for Earth
and Mars. In a concluding account, we demonstrate the apparent
loghyperbolic variation in all of the above-mentioned examples.
Copyright 1999, Institute for Scientific Information Inc.

===============

(9) SECULAR INTERACTIONS OF COORBITING OBJECTS

F. Namouni: Secular interactions of coorbiting objects. ICARUS, 1999,
Vol.137, No.2, pp.293-314

UNIVERSITY OF LONDON QUEEN MARY & WESTFIELD COLL, ASTRONOMY UNIT,
MILE END RD, LONDON E1 4NS, ENGLAND

We study the dynamics of the three-body problem when two objects are in
the 1:1 mean motion commensurability and can experience close
encounters. Three orbit families are relevant to the dynamics:
horseshoe orbits, passing orbits, and retrograde satellite orbits. The
fatter two families are present only when the relative eccentricity of
the two objects is large in comparison to the width of their coorbital
region. In the planar case, the three families are disjoint because the
guiding center of the motion is stationary with respect to secular
perturbations; as a result, collisional orbits are unstable. Orbit
transitions between different families occur in three dimensions owing
to the secular variations of the eccentricity and argument of
pericenter omega(r). Potentially colliding horseshoe orbits transit via
eccentric retrograde satellite orbits in a secular mechanism where
omega(r) librates around +/-90 degrees, Coorbital passing orbits are
located at the Kozai resonances with 2 omega(r) librating around either
0 degrees or 180 degrees, The former resonance is a dominant
feature of the dynamics once passing orbits exist. The latter is found
only at large values of the Jacobi constant. Large amplitude librations
around the Kozai resonances involve the transition from a passing orbit
to an association of horseshoe and retrograde satellite orbits and the
secular periodic reversal of the relative semimajor axis of the passing
orbit. The stability of these structures supports the existence of
coorbiting material with the planets, especially Mercury, and favors a
coorbital origin of the retrograde natural satellites.
(C) 1999 Academic Press.

===============
(10) EXTERNAL SOURCES OF WATER FOR MERCURY'S PUTATIVE ICE DEPOSIT

J.I. Moses*), K. Rawlins, K. Zahnle, L. Dones: External sources of
water for Mercury's putative ice deposits. ICARUS, 1999, Vol.137, No.2,
pp.197-221

*) LUNAR & PLANETARY INST,3600 BAY AREA BLVD,HOUSTON,TX,77058

Radar images have revealed the possible presence of ice deposits in
Mercury's polar regions. Although thermal models indicate that watts
ice can be stable in permanently shaded regions near Mercury's poles,
the ultimate source of the water remains unclear. We use stochastic
models and other theoretical methods to investigate the role of
external sources in supplying Mercury with the requisite amount of
water. By extrapolating the current terrestrial influx of
interplanetary dust particles to that at Mercury, we find that
continual micrometeoritic bombardment of Mercury over the last 3.5 byr
could have resulted in the delivery of (3-60) x 10(16) g of water ice
to tb permanently shaded regions at Mercury's poles (equivalent to an
average ice thickness of 0.8-20 m), Erosion by micrometeoritic impact
on exposed ice deposits could reduce the above value by about a half.
For comparison, the current ice deposits on Mercury are believed to be
somewhere between similar to 2 and 20 m thick. Using a Monte Carlo
model to simulate the impact history of Mercury, we find that asteroids
and comets can also deliver an amount of water consistent with the
observations. Impacts from Jupiter-family comets over the last 3.5
billion years can supply (0.1-200) x 10(16) g of water to Mercury's
polar regions (corresponding to ice deposits 0.05-60 m thick),
Halley-type comets can supply (0.2-20) x 10(16) g of water to the poles

(0.07-7 m of ice), and asteroids can provide (0.4-20) x 10(16) g of
water to the poles (0.1-8 m of ice). Although all these external
sources are nominally sufficient to explain the estimated amount of ice
currently at Mercury's poles, impacts by a few large comets and/or
asteroids seem to provide the best explanation for both the amount and
cleanliness of the ice deposits on Mercury. Despite their low
population estimates in the inner solar system, Jupiter-family comets
are particularly promising candidates for delivering water to Mercury
because they have a larger volatile content than asteroids and more
favorable orbital and impact characteristics than Halley-type comets.
(C) 1999 Academic Press.

=========
(11) ORIGIN OF POLYMICT BRECCIAS ON ASTEROIDS

K. Saiki*), H. Takeda: Origin of polymict breccias on asteroids deduced
from their pyroxene fragments. METEORITICS & PLANETARY SCIENCE, 1999,
Vol.34, No.2, pp.271-283

*) AKITA UNIV,FAC ENGN & MAT SCI,RES INST MAT & RESOURCES,1-1
   TEGATA GAKUEN MACHI,AKITA 0108502,JAPAN

Cumulate eucrite, noncumulate eucrite, and diogenite meteorites are
considered to have come from the crust of one (or similar) parent
asteroid. Howardites are regarded as regolith breccias of eucrites and
diogenites, and polymict eucrites are regarded as polymict breccias of
eucrites. These polymict breccias show many textural and chemical
features. In order to gain a better understanding of the origin of
polymict breccias and the origin of their components, we investigated
four polymict breccias, Yamato (Y)-791439, Y-791192, Y-82009, and
Y-82049 with a scanning electron microscope (SEM) equipped with a
chemical mapping system, and by electron probe microanalysis (EPMA). We
analyzed all pyroxene grains with chemical maps, classified them by
chemical composition, and observed their chemistry and mineralogy in
detail. The characteristics of pyroxenes suggest that the polymict
breccias were generated by gathering locally ordinary eucrites and
cumulate eucrites. The chemical-evolutionary features of the pyroxenes
(such as homogenization, chemical zoning, and exsolution lamellae)
suggest that there were at least two long annealing events and one
short (or low-temperature) annealing event, separated by mixing events.
Local heterogeneity on the asteroidal crust is also suggested.
Copyright property of the Meteoritical Society, 1999.

- ----------------------------------------
THE CAMBRIDGE-CONFERENCE NETWORK (CCNet)
The CCNet is a scholarly electronic network. To subscribe/unsubscribe,
please contact the moderator Benny J Peiser <b.j.peiser@livjm.acdot uk>.
Information circulated on this network is for scholarly and
educational use only. The attached information may not be copied or
reproduced for any other purposes without prior permission of the
copyright holders. The fully indexed archive of the CCNet, from
February 1997 on, can be found at http://abob.libs.ugadot edu/bobk/cccmenu.html

------- End of Forwarded Message