[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V3 #19

Hi All

The weather here in South Africa has turned nasty again, with both
Johannesburg and Cape Town reporting cloud for the Lyrids.  I lost the night
of April 23/24 to fog for the pi Puppids, but managed 2.0 hours on this
shower last night, April 24/25.  It was fairly clear, and despite the moon I
managed LM=5.3, logging 4 sporadics and no 0 pi Puppids.  Anyone else have
any luck?  I was not expecting any fireworks however; in over 20 hours on
this shower in the past I've plotted less than half a dozen probable pi Puppids.

I finished this years Virginid plotting, with a total of 19.5 hours - no too
bad given the cloudy weather in February to April.  Bob, I'll mail you the
final report and plots soon.  This morning I got up hoping to start this
years eta Aquarid run, but alas cloud again, and the forecast is the same
for the next few days, by which time the moon will really be a problem.

Rob McNaught wrote:

>GAMMA NORMIDS
>On 1999 March 14 from 15:10 to 17:00 UT myself and several others observed
>meteors (sorry, not IMO compliant) in support of multi-station
>photographic observations.  Of twenty meteors seen or plotted during this
>interval, only one was conceivably a Gamma Normid, indicating the rates at
>that time were well below sporadic rates.

I had cloud in Johannesburg, but two of my Cape observers were out.  In
summary they had:
March 12/13, Teff=4.0, mean LM=5.8, GNO=5, SPO=18
March 13/14, Teff=6.0, mean LM=5.9, GNO=6, SPO=20

Seems pretty much as you observed.  Can let you have more details if required.

Bye

Tim