[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) telescopes

Melanie,

I would agree with Cathy that if you're not sure what scope to get then a good pair
of binoculars (10x50 or larger aperture) mounted on a tripod for stability will
provide an excellent start to finding your way about the sky and seeing enough
wonders to keep you going for a while.  Make sure you get as good a quality as you
can, with as large an aperture/objective lense as you can afford, and a decent
tripod/monopod.

If you have a few hundred dollars to spare then I'd thoroughly recommend the
ETX-90/EC at $595.  I've been using one for the last copuple of months and it's
absolutely marvellous!!  The optics are the best I've seen through for a scope of
that size, and the computer hand controller (an additional $149) is a joy to use -
it'll find any worthwhile object in the sky for you at the press of a button - no,
it's not the lazy person's way of doing astronomy, it actually takes away the chore
of wasting hours searching for objects and allows you time to actually observe!
I've found Messier objects that I've never seen before, planets are a doddle
(including the moon :-)) and deep sky objects just unbelievably easy, as well as
satellites, asteroids and comets.  The facilities on the controller are actually
more versatile than on the 10 inch LX200 I've just bought - my ETX will be a
welcome companion even to my new big brother!!

Either of these options will give you portability that you require and also give
you the opportunity to have a go at seeing telescopic meteors, amongst other
things.

P.S.  All the best and good luck with college!

"C.L. Hall" wrote:

> Greetings all...
>
> Melanie in Colorado wrote:
> >I'm interested in buying a telescope to take to college with me.
> >I don' t know what to look for in a telescope, where to buy one, or how much
> >they cost.
> >Could anyone offer suggestions as to what and where i should be looking for a
> >telescope?
>
> Just a quick note here, packing things in for the night.  No, not clear here...
>
> Melanie, I assume you're interested in meteors and learning the sky, seeing
> as how you're posting this on the <meteor> email list.
>
> The short answer to your query is... If you don't know what to look for at
> this point, or where to buy one, or how much they cost... then this is <not>
> the time to consider buying one! ;>
>
> What I would strongly recommend are several things instead:
> - a good pair of binoculars
> - a reclining lawnchair
> - a copy of the book 'Nightwatch' by Terence Dickinson.
>
> Binoculars are a much better buy for the dollar, and you can use them to
> cruise around the sky, and the Milky Way, while stretched out in your
> lawnchair.  You can also take a break from naked eye meteor observing to
> examine all those neat fuzzy Messier objects!  I assume you are fairly new
> to scopes and the sky, and that particular book by Dickinson will not only
> help you learn the sky (very useful in meteor observing), but will give you
> reading material about scopes, and other astronomical equipment.
>
> As to where to get a good pair of binoculars, check out one of your local
> sporting goods stores.  They tend not to charge as much as the specialty
> nature or science shops.
>
> Once you've really learned the sky, and familiarized yourself with what's
> out there, then you can start the quest for a scope.  There are many
> different kinds out there, but many factors to consider - the type of sky
> objects you prefer to look at, how portable you want it to be, how much you
> want to spend (or if you'd rather buy a used car!), and how often you're
> really going to use it.  Dickinson's book is very good at answering these
> sorts of questions.
>
> Hope these brief comments help!  If you have any specific questions, drop me
> a line!
>
> Clear skies,
>
> - Cathy Hall
>   Ottawa, Canada
>   chall@cyberusdot ca

Warning
Could not process part with given Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="jtk.vcf"