[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet DIGEST, 27 April 1999"

Pretty rich one this time! -Lew

------- Forwarded Message

From: Benny J Peiser <b.j.peiser@livjm.acdot uk>
To: cambridge-conference@livjm.acdot uk
Subject: CCNet DIGEST 27 Apirl 1999
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:12:50 -0400 (EDT)

CCNet DIGEST, 27 April 1999
---------------------------

[...]

(4) TUNING IN TO APRIL METEOR SHOWERS
    NASA Science News <expressnews@sslab.msfc.nasadot gov>=20

(5) THE RATE OF NAKED-EYE COMETS FROM 101 BC TO 1970 AD
    A.L. Licht, UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS

(6) COMET HYAKUTAKE: DYNAMICS OF FRAGMENTS OF ITS COMETARY NUCLEI
    E. Desvoivres et al., UNIVERSITY OF GRENOBLE

(7) POLARIMETRIC OBSERVATIONS OF COMET HALE-BOPP
    Y.N. Gnedin et al., RUSSIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCE

(8) DUST FLOW IN A POROUS COMET NUCLEUS
    Y. Shoshany et al., TEL AVIV UNIVERSITY

(9) RADAR OBSERVATIONS OF THE GIACOBINID METEOR STREAM
    M. Simek et al., ACADEMY OF SCIENCE OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC

(4) TUNING IN TO APRIL METEOR SHOWERS

>From NASA Science News <expressnews@sslab.msfc.nasadot gov>=20

NASA Space Science News for April 27, 1999
=20
Tuning in to April meteor showers:  Last week's Lyrid meteor shower was =

a bit of a disappointment visually, but it put on quite a show for=20
radio observers. In this story you can learn about the basics of radio=20
meteors and listen to radar echoes from a bright shooting star.=20
FULL STORY at =
http://science.nasadot gov/newhome/headlines/ast27apr99_1.htm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(5) THE RATE OF NAKED-EYE COMETS FROM 101 BC TO 1970 AD

A.L. Licht: The rate of naked-eye comets from 101 BC to 1970 AD.=20
ICARUS, 1999, Vol.137, No.2, pp.355-356

UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS,DEPT PHYS MC 273,845 W TAYLOR ST,
ROOM 2236,CHICAGO,IL,60607

The number of comets that are bright enough and that come close enough=20
to Earth to be seen with the unaided eye fluctuates randomly from=20
century to century. The mean number seen per century, R, is a parameter =

determined by the distribution of short-period comets and by the escape =

of new, near parabolic comets into the inner Solar System from the Oort =

Cloud (J. H. Oort, 1963, The Solar System, Univ, of Chicago Press,=20
Chicago, London) and the Kuiper Belt (H. F. Levison and M. J. Duncan,=20
1997, Icarus 127, 13-32). A measurement of R provides a constraint on=20
possible escape mechanisms. In the following it is shown that R can be=20
determined by a comparison of the number of comets reported from the=20
east and west with those reported from both regions, An analysis of the =

reports compiled by I. Hasegawa (1980, Vistas in Astronomy, Pergamon,=20
Great Britain) shows that R =3D 86.0 +/- 6.7 comets/century and =
moreover=20
R has been remarkably constant over the past two millennia. One could
conclude from this that the mean rate at which all comets, visible and=20
invisible, enter the inner Solar System has also been constant over=20
this period. (C) 1999 Academic Press.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(6) COMET HYAKUTAKE: DYNAMICS OF FRAGMENTS OF ITS COMETARY NUCLEI

E. Desvoivres*), J. Klinger, A.C. LevasseurRegourd, J. Lecacheux, L.=20
Jorda, A. Enzian, F. Colas, E. Frappa, P. Laques: Comet C/1996 B2=20
Hyakutake: observations, interpretation and modelling of the dynamics=20
of fragments of cometary nuclei. MONTHLY NOTICES OF THE ROYAL=20
ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY, 1999, Vol.303, No.4, pp.826-834

*) UNIVERSITY OF GRENOBLE 1,CNRS,LGGE,54 RUE MOLIERE,BP 96,F-38402 ST=20
   MARTIN DHER,FRANCE

Comet C/1996 B2 Hyakutake was extensively observed at the Pic du Midi=20
observatory during late March of 1996, Bright condensations were=20
observed in the near-nucleus coma. We have performed a detailed data=20
analysis in order to derive the position of these features with respect =

to the nucleus. We make the hypothesis that they are induced by=20
fragments of the nucleus. Despite the frequency of fragmentation of=20
cometary nuclei, the dynamics of the fragments is not yet well=20
understood. We propose a general approach in order to study the motion=20
of the fragments in the orbital plane of the comet. An estimate of the=20
non-gravitational forces is used to describe the motion of the fragment =

and of the nucleus with respect to their centre of mass. Then the=20
equations of the theory of perturbed Keplerian motion are solved in=20
order to study the motion of the centre of mass, This approach is=20
applied to Comet C/1996 B2 Hyakutake, The results are in good agreement =

with the observations, An excellent fit is obtained for a fragment size =

of 20 m, assuming a density of 300 kg m(-3). Copyright 1999, Institute=20
for Scientific Information Inc.
=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(7) POLARIMETRIC OBSERVATIONS OF COMET HALE-BOPP

Y.N. Gnedin*), T.M. Natsvlishvili, V.D. Bychkov, V.P. Romanenko:=20
Polarimetric observations of comet Hale-Bopp. ASTRONOMY LETTERS-A=20
JOURNAL OF ASTRONOMY AND SPACE ASTROPHYSICS, 1999, Vol.25, No.3,=20
pp.191-197

*) RUSSIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCE,MAIN ASTRON OBSERV,ST PETERSBURG=20
   196140,RUSSIA

We report the results of polarimetric observations of comet Hale-Bopp=20
made at the I-m telescope of the Special Astrophysical Observatory in=20
October 1996 and in March/April 1997 using MINIPOL polarimeter. We=20
present the wavelength dependences of the degree and position angle of=20
polarization, which differ from those of other comets and characterize=20
the unusual activity of comet Hale-Bopp. We estimate the contribution=20
of molecular scattering. Strong variability in the degree and position=20
angle of polarization and in the wavelength dependences of these=20
parameters indicate both very high inhomogeneity of the dust component=20
and a presence of dust grain alignment mechanism. Copyright 1999,=20
Institute for Scientific Information Inc.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(8) DUST FLOW IN A POROUS COMET NUCLEUS

Y. Shoshany, M. Podolak, D. Prialnik, B. Berkowitz: A Monte Carlo model =

for the flow of dust in a porous comet nucleus. ICARUS, 1999, Vol.137,=20
No.2, pp.348-354

*) TEL AVIV UNIVERSITY,DEPT GEOPHYS & PLANETARY SCI,IL-69978=20
   RAMAT AVIV,ISRAEL

We describe a Monte Carlo model that simulates dust migration in a=20
porous cometary nucleus. We present computations for media in which the =

pore-size distributions are either random or normal; additional=20
computations indicate that media with power-law size distributions=20
behave very similarly to random distributions. We show how the average=20
time to cross the medium varies as a function of porosity and how the=20
structure of the medium varies with time. Implications for the=20
structure of the cometary nucleus are discussed. (C) 1999 Academic=20
Press.
=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(9) RADAR OBSERVATIONS OF THE GIACOBINID METEOR STREAM

M. Simek*), P. Pecina: The Giacobinid meteor stream observed by radar=20
in 1998. ASTRONOMY AND ASTROPHYSICS, 1999, Vol.343, No.3, pp.L94-L96

*) ACADEMY OF SCIENCE OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC,INST ASTRON,CZ-25165=20
   ONDREJOV,CZECH REPUBLIC

The return of the 1998 Giacobinid meteor shower associated with the=20
comet 21P/Giacobini-Zinner was observed by meteor radar at Ondrejov,=20
Czech Republic. The duration of the intense part of the shower was=20
approximately 3 hours. Though the Limiting magnitude of the radar is +8 =

M-r, only overdense echoes down to +4.2 M-r were analyzed. A maximum=20
number of 82 such shower meteors was recorded in the ten minute=20
interval 13h 00m-13h 10m UT corresponding to solar longitude L. =3D=20
194dot degrees 8200 +/- 0dot degrees 0034 (J2000.0). The mass-distribution=20
index s; =3D 1.38 +/- 0.04 indicates a lack of faint meteors in the =
most=20
dense part of the stream. Copyright 1999, Institute for Scientific=20
Information Inc.

- ----------------------------------------
THE CAMBRIDGE-CONFERENCE NETWORK (CCNet)
The CCNet is a scholarly electronic network. To subscribe/unsubscribe,=20
please contact the moderator Benny J Peiser <b.j.peiser@livjm.acdot uk>.=20
Information circulated on this network is for scholarly and=20
educational use only. The attached information may not be copied or=20
reproduced for any other purposes without prior permission of the=20
copyright holders. The fully indexed archive of the CCNet, from=20
February 1997 on, can be found at =
http://abob.libs.ugadot edu/bobk/cccmenu.html=20

------- End of Forwarded Message