[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Confirmation of ETA Aquarid Rates from South Florida & SE Cuba

   Truly I would have to agree with Norman (what else is new). The ETA Aquarids are enjoyable to watch from South Florida. I even had the opportunity to view this meteor shower from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba with similar results to my South Florida observations.  Yet like he has stated, our individual rates have never exceeded being in the mid to high 20s, even when viewing this southerly meteor shower from the southernmost portions of the United States (i.e. The Florida Keys).
   My highest rates came in May 1979 when I was observing from near Big Pine Key (SEACAMP) and I saw 28 ETA Aquarids one hour before dawn on the morning of May 4.  Therefore, how can rates exceeding 100 meteors/hour be justified for this meteor shower?
        In Astronomical Affinity - Felix A. Martinez