[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation May 10/11 1999

Hello,

I headed out to usual Casselman site on May 10/11 to record meteors. I
watched for 2 hours beginning at 4:45 UT (12:45 local EDT). Skies were
clear and  temperature comfortable at about 5C. Facing south-east, I was
watching primarly for the ecliptical radiant Alpha Scorpiids (ASC or SAG),
and keeping an eye for some Eta Aquarids activity. Only 2 members were seen
for the ASC. One of them was a nice magnitude 0 that flared slightly on its
path. At 5:01 UT, two sporadics of magn +4 were seen within 20 seconds of
each other in the same area of the sky. I got one lull with no activity
seen between 5:01-46.

The highlight of the night a beautiful Eta Aquarid earthgrazer at 6:32 UT.
It started near Lyra and continued over a persistent 70 degrees path that
brought it into Coma Berenices! It had a magnitude of +3 and the radiant
was just about rising at that time. The plot was classified as accurate,
but I could barely fit it into a single chart! It lines up perfectly with
the radiant.

I usually never see high rates for Eta Aquarids with low radiant from my
latitude, but the few I see here are often memorable, long persistent
paths!

DATE: May 10/11 1999
BEGIN: 4:45 UT (12:45 EDT)  END: 7:00 UT (3:00 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation:100m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking watch/tape recorder

OBSERVED SHOWERS: 3-letter code;         	   radiant position
                  ASC (Alpha Scorpiids)(SAG)       240 -21
		  ETA (Eta Aquarids)          	   341  0
		  MVI (Mu Virginids)               15h20 -10

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;    / = shower not watched.

PERIOD(UT)    FIELD   Teff   F      LM    SPO  ASC  ETA
4:45-5:48     SE60    1.01   1.00   6.20   4    1    0
5:48-7:00     SE60    1.07   1.00   6.25   9    1    1
TOTALS:               2.08                13    2    1   =   16

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER -1   0  +1  +2  +3  +4  +5

SPO     1   0   0   3   3   4   2
ASC     0   1   0   0   0   1   0
ETA     0   0   0   0   1   0   0
TOTALS: 1   1   0   3   4   5   2

SKY OBSCURED: none

Total dead time: 10.13 minutes
Dead time plots: 15 plots --> total time plotting: 9.63 minutes
Breaks: none