[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Can you help my colleague?

>From: Graham <Graham.D@wanadoo.fr>
>Subject: VHFDX: help..with rocks..literally..
>
>While clearing some more of my land here I have found what may possibly be a
>meteorite....and would like to try and verify or dis-prove..
>
>I have very limited rock knowledge, but this piece is certainly NOT from
>around these parts...we are on clay with a chalk base, on a valley top,
>valley base 200 metres down the hill, is river deposits...dot it was found
>found slightly buried, but mostly on surface, of a steep slope...
>
>Even from my limited knowledge this is clearly a 'heat' manufactured piece
>..(or perhaps man made, but for what purpose in this shape ? and where made
>I cannot imagine although it fits VERY neatly into the hand and leaves a
>protruding edge, but not sharp as I have seen in other tools, very smooth
>edge)..., very hard/smooth....about 100mm long by 60mm wide at widest
>point...broadly elliptical in shape, both radially and axially, but with odd
>'cut out' on one side, although that is very smooth also..dot it looks like a
>top level Kneel'er motorbike and side car ....or one half (one side if cut
>front to back) of a plane'ing racing boat, the sort with a streamlined cabin
>on top and wings on the side.... broadly...
>
>one end is slightly thinner than the other and that end is completely
>rounded and near symetrically so in one plane....the other end is very
>similar, but with an abrupt flat on the nose...
>
>The smoothed surface has a 'grain' finish (like wood) which forms a bullet
>shape of grain with the point at the fully rounded end and the tail at the
>partially flattened end...and perhaps the grain is the same shape, but other
>way around on the other side..(I did not clean it yet, so not so distinct)..
>
>On/in the surface are 'sparkles' that are about the size of very fine sand
>particles but appear to be glass or at least very reflective sand grains if
>that is what they are...
>
>There are several rust stains in small veins on the surface, so clearly
>there is some iron content....(again none around here)....
>
>To me, in summary,  it seems alien to area, smoothed, contains iron, is
>blunted at one end, rounded at other, has a distinct layered graining
>appearance, and has what appears to be melted sand grains in the surface, so
>thought it worth asking the question...?...
>
>anyone interested and/or has a serious chance of knowning what this is then
>I could send some .JPG's.....
>
>73 Graham G8MBI .....

******
* Dr Geoffrey H Grayer			E-mail: g.h.grayer@rl.acdot uk	      *
* Room G11, Bldg R66			Tel (Office): 	(0/+44) 12 35 44 65 11*
* Detector Group			Tel.(My Lab.):	(0/+44) 12 35 44      *
* Instrumentation Division		Tel.(Operator):	(0/+44) 12 35 82 19 00*
* Rutherford Appleton Laboratory	Fax (Building):	(0/+44) 12 35 44 68 63*
* Chilton, DIDCOT, OX11 0QX, UK 	Radio call:	G3NAQ (UK), AE4PI(USA)*