[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Clusters & 3 Letter Codes

Kim,

If I saw a cluster of radiants occurring in one area of the sky I would
label them as sporadic but make a note of this occurrence in my
observing log. I would try to observe the very next night to verify any
continued activity. The following year I would try to do the same. If
this activity repeats itself for several years then you are on to
something.

If we had each observer making up their own 3 letter codes it would
tend to create chaos to those who try to analyze such data.

Out of curiosity Kim, were you facing toward Sagittarius while
observing? If not I would bet that this activity was actually radiating
from the constellation of Scorpius which is the center of the current
anthelion activity which includes the Sagittarids (SAG), Alpha Scorpids
(ASC), and both the Northern (NOP) and Southern Ophiuchids (SOP).

Bob Lunsford

"Kim S. Youmans" wrote:

>         The question on sporadic activity, in particular, about how high a rate
> is too high, resonates with me as I just finished an observing session this
> morning with a quite high sporadic count.  The final hour before dawn (when I
> naturally expect to see the most) produced 13 sporadics and 4 ETA's.  I noticed
> a cluster of radiants in Sagittarius are active now;  my main question is
> this....if I trace a meteor back to this "cluster" of radiants, but can't peg
> down exactly which radiant as they are all so close together,  is there a
> single three letter code I could use, like SAG, the denote this "generality?"
>                                            Outbursts, everyone!   Kim S.
> Youmans

Follow-Ups: References: