[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Clusters & 3 Letter Codes

Kim,

If you saw any activity coming from the vicinity of western Scorpius
then by all means call it a Sagittarid (IMO designation SAG) or an Alpha
Scorpid (ASC). These radiants are exactly the same only the ASC name is
a bit more accurate as to its current position in the sky. As soon as
you gain more experience you will learn to differentiate between close
radiants.

I agree that one should not start plotting right from the start. You
should take one step at a time and learn the basic steps of observing.
In my opinion you are off to a great start! When you have mastered the
art of counting then by all means purchase a set of gnomic charts and
try your hand at plotting.

I have seen people who plot before they are ready and quit watching due
to the frustrations that occur. One needs to learn the constellations
and celestial distances (degrees) before plotting. If not, the plots are
usually grossly overestimated and badly transferred to the chart and
nowhere close to being accurate. Even us experienced plotters are often
off by several degrees in both length and angle.

Keep up the good work!

Bob

    The cluster of radiants I was referring to are the same group you