[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing Outlook for May 15-21

This weekend and the following week will be the prime time to watch for
meteors this month. The moon is new on Saturday and totally out of the
picture for morning observations.

The Eta Aquarids continue with lower rates than last week but under much
better conditions. This weekend the radiant is located near the star
Beta Piscium just west of the "circlet". The radiant rises near 2:30 AM
local daylight time and meteors from this shower are visible from then
until dawn begins to interfere. Since we are now 10 days past maximum
activity I would not expect to see more than 5 Eta Aquarids per hour and
probably closer to 2-3 per hour. I would suggest facing the eastern half
of the sky to help identify possible members of this shower.

The Alpha Scorpids (also known as the Sagittarids) continue to be active
from western Scorpius this weekend. Rates will be low but the shower
members are often spectacular. The predicted location of the anthelion
radiant is a few degrees further east just across the border into
Ophiuchus. If you face toward Scorpius perhaps you can distinguish
between these two sources. The meteor characteristics are identical and
identification is difficult. The anthelion radiant is a constant source
of weak activity throughout the year. It often shares the same position
as the current ecliptical shower such as the Taurids and Virginids. If
there is any difference now is the time to study the radiant as it is
separated from the current ecliptical radiant near its maximum distance.

Southern Hemisphere observers may be advised to keep an eye out for any
activity from the Beta Corona Australids with reach maximum activity on
Sunday.

Get out and observe and don't forget to share your results with us!

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford