[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Clusters & 3 Letter Codes

Kim,

Regarding the use of three-letter codes, I would just like to add NAMN uses
the IMO's Working List which is published each year. From observations they
receive, showers are sometimes added, removed or have their characteristics
modified. In general, this list is the best showers for visual observers to
monitor, and so makes a good starting point.

As time goes on, you will continue to encounter other lists with some of
these same showers, but which also include a large assortment of minor
streams. I spoke at length several years ago with Rainer Arlt about the June
Lyrids and June Bootids (Rainer is the Director of the IMO's Visual
Commission and receives all of our observations). We finally worked out the
arrangement that Wayne mentioned - report it as a sporadic "officially" but
add the possible shower association in a comments section. In your
particular case, you could just add the comment on the same line as the
individual meteor data. From there, we could extract that association as
needed.

Finally, I whole-heartedly second Bob's comment about not making up new
three-letter codes. Makes archiving a nightmare! If you report a code you
think I may not be familiar with, please also provide a reference source I
can look up. Not only does this help me with archiving, but I also have a
shower catalog I maintain for my own use, and try to keep it updated as best
I can. TIA!

Clear skies!

Mark Davis