[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radio for Forward Scatter Meteorobservation

At 01:18 AM 5/16/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Meteorobservers:
>I am planning to start observing meteors by forward scatter tecnique and
>hope to have the equipment "up and go" well before the Leonids in
>November. I have read a lot about the topic, bu two questions are still
>unanswered: What kind of radio / reciever will You recomend for a
>totally novice both on radio and the tecnique? Do You know of any
>dealer, preferable in Norway or Europe, but any adress is better than
>nothing?

Nearly any synthesized FM broadcast receiver will be suitable, at least for
a start. It should be synthesized so that you can be certain that the
receiver is on, and remains tuned to, the desired frequency; but
non-synthesized radios are quite useful, too, if they remain tuned to a
channel and do not drift. The receiver should accept an external antenna;
i.e., it should have an antenna jack. Accordingly, you should be able to
disconnect any in-the-case antenna. To reject close-in signals, you will
want to use some sort of directional outside antenna.

Your major problem will be to find a clear frequency that has no stations
that you can hear unless a meteor reflects them. I understand that Europe
has become much more crowded than North America in this regard with only a
few far-flung areas having any clear frequencies.

Check out the following URLs for more information:

http://www.imodot net/radio/index.html and http://www.imodot net
http://www.sci.fi/~oh5iy/index.htm#Background
http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/metlink.html (Gary Kronk's list of meteor
www sites)

There are many more very useful sites and I did not intend to leave any
out, but cannot list them all here! You will discover them by following
links from the above sites.

In addition, Christian Steyaert publishes a monthly Radio Meteor
Observation Bulletin (RMOB) here which contains reports from many radio
meteor observers. Of greatest interest to you at this time may be the
descriptions of the equipment used by each observer.

Clear skies,

SteveH