[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Pre-dawn Obs 05-16-99

  I had a good night up in the mountains of West Virginia May 15/16. I
observed meteors for 3 hours and saw moderate activity from the ASC and
ETA radiants. I was particularly surprised at the surge of sporadics that
occured the last hour. It was nice to see the Summer Milky Way again and
the bright supernova (est. 14.0 magn.) in NGC2841 in UMa. There are several
forground stars that can confuse you; so use a chart for I.D. A good one is:
http://oir-www.harvarddot edu/cfa/oir/Research/supernova/images/sn99by_finder.jpg
No fireballs were seen from the Alpha Scorpids, but a very nice -2 magn. one
that had a beautiful blue-green color was seen.

   DATE      UT      LM     ASC    ETA    NOP    SPO   TOTAL
May 15/16 6:06-7:06  6.2     2      0      1      3      6
 "    "   7:06-8:06  6.2     1      2      0      4      7
 "    "   8:06-9:06  5.9     1      2      0     12     15

GWG