[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing Summary: May 17/18 from S. Carolina

I left the weekly chat session early last night in hopes of getting some
sleep before a clear night. I was out at 1 am local time, but the clouds had
not parted. Took a nap in the truck till a little after 2am....still clouds.
Finally, they began to break so that by 3:05 am I was able to begin
observing.

It was a fairly slow night with only 3 probable Eta Aquarids recorded. As a
result of a conversation I had with Bob Lunsford earlier in the night at the
chat, I monitored the Alpha Scorpid radiant carefully.....seeing none that I
would classify as ASC's with certainty. Observing from my Sullivan's Island
site though, meant poor skies (LM ~ 5.1 - 5.3) so this comes into play. Did
observe what I felt were a fair number of sporadics for this time of
year....10 in a little more than 2.0 hours of Teff. No fireballs were
seen....and in fact the brightest meteor I saw the whole morning was a +1.0
magnitude...not even 1 zero magnitude or brighter meteor!

Clear skies!

-Mark