[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) OT-NEAF

	Just wanted to relate a few thought about The Northeast Astronomy Forum I
attended this weekend.  A few highlights.
	Joe Rao's talk was a very personal journey through his path to meteorics,
and it was very nice to meet him in person. (To extend what Kevin said
earlier...Tooo Tooo Baaad :->). The disappointment at getting clouded out
for the 66 Leonids is a pain I know all too well...the 98 Leonids, and
especially the diabolical weather for the 98 Perseids which included one
isolated Thunderstorm within 100 miles (forecast was for clear skies),
located directly over the NJAA observatory. We received about 30% of the
total precip from July through November in that one storm, between midnight
and dawn, prime Perseid time. Of course, in 1998 we only had "showers", not
a meteor storm. (very confusing when talking meteorics and meteorology at
the same time!) so it wasn't as bad, but I wasn't very happy! I also feel
that same pain when the BIIIIGGGG snowstorm we expect here in NJ fails to
materialize. The last few winters here in NJ have been crushing for a
snowstorm (i.e. Mother Nature shows us who's boss) lover such as myself. If
I can only find the money, I may join Joe in the Canary Islands, but I fear
my recent (lack of) employment situation may prevent that. I guess I'll
rent a boat and head east off the coast for the 99 Leonids.
	I also found Todd Gross's talk (on planning a session considering the
Moon, Light Pollution, and Weather) very educational...not that it will
help much in my attempts to forecast weather for astronomers. He gave some
good tools for astronmers to use to figure out what nights will be clear,
and what nights will have good seeing. Foolishly, however, I try and
forecast conditions 6 to 12 hours in advance for the less meteorologically
inclined members of the NJAA, since many drive over an hour to the Paul
Robinson Observatory, and especially for the meteor observers, who must
plan a nap before heading out near midnight most times. And let me tell
you, if there's anyone who tempts fate more than a weather forecaster, it's
someone who tries to forecast weather for astronomers..dot since a thin band
of cirrus, or an easterly flow tripping the humidity over a critical
threshold, causing thick low clouds to materialize in minutes, can ruin a
night. In any case, I learned a few things that should help, especially for
the non- meteor people, which I hope to incorporate into my future
prognostications. I have a few more technical questions for Todd that he'll
be hearing from me on :-) I notice no sane (as in it's their job)
forecaster dares to predict "Astronomy Weather"...not Joe, not Todd
(Correct me if I'm wrong, guys), not any of the 25 meteorologists I have
access to in the NY/NJ/PHLA market, not the Weather Channel.  I don't blame
them...you'd have to be crazy! But gee, it would be a great idea
guys...just a 12 hour leadtime......and after all I'm crazy enough to
try.......
	Finally, it was a lifetime moment when Carolyn Shoemaker gave her
presentation. I was deeply moved as she described with much love both her
husband Eugene, and the work that they and David Levy did together. It is a
moment I truly will never forget, and I'm most grateful to those
(kevin...thanx) tho urged me to attend. I'm a little verklempt right now,
talk among yourselves....

	Oh and as a closing note, I also met Bob Crelin, one of the most
articulate light pollution fighters I know, who gave me a lot of new tools
and advice. Thanx, Bob. And, although I vowed not to spend any money, I
wound up leaving with a Telrad for my dob, a new copy of Sky Atlas 2000 for
the upcoming years staring with a 2, 2 copies of Joe Rao's paper on the 99
Leonids, one on the trip to the Canary Islands for the Leonds, and a few
folders from some group called the NAMN :->
If you live in the Northeast, And next year's speakers are as good as this
year's, I couldn't imagine a better way to spend 12 bucks and a day. Or
more than 12 bucks by the time you leave :-)

Wayne